- Ready in: 45 minutes
- Serves: 4
- Complexity: medium
- 1 onion - roughly chopped
- 50g olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves - crushed
- 900g pumpkin flesh - chopped into cubes
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- salt and pepper to season
- 100g dried chorizo - sliced (optional)
- Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil in a heavy based pan until soft and translucent.
- Add your pumpkin to the pan and cook until it is golden around the edges. You'll need to stir from time to time to make sure the pumpkin doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Add the stock and spices and bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat down to a gentle simmer and cook for a further 20 minutes, or until the pumpkin flesh is tender.
- Blitz the soup using a hand blender but leave a rough texture to it, this is a hearty Autumn soup.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. You can always add a little more chilli powder if you like.
- If you are adding chorizo to your soup. Fry in a pan until brown and crispy and then scatter on top of your bowls of pipping hot soup.